GPA’s Advertising and Editorial contests open for entries Dec. 1
Get ready — contest season is about to kick off!
Start thinking about what advertising and editorial work from your newspaper you want to enter in the contests, because GPA’s contest website will open for entries on Dec. 1.
Rules for both contests will be mailed out at the end of the month. The biggest change for the contests is a realignment of the division for daily newspapers:
- Division A is for newspapers with 10,000 or more in circulation.
- Division B is for newspapers with circulation of 6,000 to 9,999.
- Division C is for newspapers with circulation of less than 6,000.
(Previously, A was 18,000 and more, B was 8,000 to 17,999 and C was less than 8,000.)
The change better balances the number of newspapers in each division and was approved by the GPA Board of Directors in November.
The editorial contest has two additional changes:
- A new category for social media, video, podcasts and other unconventional journalism projects has been created for the editorial contest. It’s called Social Media Journalism.
- Individual photojournalists will only be able to submit one entry to the Photo Portfolio category in the contest.
December and January will be busy months for contest activity. About 60 people are needed to judge South Carolina’s editorial contest in January. If you are willing to help judge, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, newspaper, contact info and judging preferences. There are writing, opinion, photography and design categories to judge.
Advertising judges will be need for the South Carolina contest later in 2019.
See rules for the 2019 Better Newspaper Contest for advertising here: 2019GPAAdvertisingContestRules
Check out rules for the 2019 Better Newspaper Contest for editorial here: GPA2019EditorialContestRules
Previous BNC results
2018 Better Newspaper Contest results
Congratulations to all of the winners of GPA’s Better Newspaper Contest in 2018.
See the full results here: BNCPressRelease2018
2017 Better Newspaper Contest results
Congratulations to all of the winners of GPA’s Better Newspaper Contest in 2017.
See the full results here: BNCPressRelease2017
2016 Better Newspaper Contest results
See results of the 2016 Better Newspaper Contest here: BNCPressRelease2016.
2015 Better Newspaper Contest results
See results of the 2015 Better Newspaper Contest here: BNC press release 2015.