Governor, House Speaker join newspapers at GPA’s 133rd Annual Convention
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp and House Speaker David Ralston made stops to speak at Georgia Press Association’s 133rd Annual Convention, adding two headlines to an event already filled with great speakers and ceremonies recognizing winners in the Better Newspaper Advertising and Editorial Contests.
Look for the full details on convention activities in the June issue of Georgia Press Bulletin.
Below, find links to the presentations of speakers at the Convention. If you weren’t there, or want to share what you heard with other members of your staff, check them out here. We’ll be adding more in the days to come.
• “Tools for Building Trust with Readers,” by Dean Charles N. Davis of the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Georgia: Trusting_News
• “Getting Out the Newspaper in a Natural Disaster,” by Mike Gebhart of Southern Community Newspapers Inc.: GettingthePaperOutDuringDisaster
• “Latest Technology for News Gathering,” by Zach Dennis of the Savannah Morning News: LatestTechforNewsGathering
• “Understanding Magazine Design Language” by Leonard Woolsey of The Galveston County Daily News: UnderstandingMagazineDesignLanguage
• “Learning Loyalty: Increasing Digital Subscriptions with Better Engagement” by Conan Gallaty of the Tampa Bay Times: LearningLoyalty-IncreasingDigitalSubscriptions
• “Better Newspaper Contest Advertising Awards Presentation”: 2019BNCAdvertisingAwards
• “Better Newspaper Contest Editorial Awards Presentation, Part 1”: 2019BNCAwardsPresentation1
• “Better Newspaper Contest Editorial Awards Presentation, Part 2”: 2019BNCAwardsPresentation2
• “Better Newspaper Contest Editorial Awards Presentation, Part 3”: 2019BNCAwardsPresentation3
• Better Newspaper Contest Editorial Awards Presentation, Part 4″: 2019BNCAwardsPresentation4
GPA’s 2020 and 2021 Annual Conventions
The 2020 GPA Annual Convention will not be held on Jekyll Island this year.
Dear GPA members and friends,
The GPA Board of Directors made the only responsible choice we can at this point. We won’t be traveling to Jekyll Island for the Georgia Press Association’s 2020 Annual Convention in June. With so much uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic, right now there’s no way to effectively plan an in-person meeting that would ensure everyone’s health and safety.
We will send more details over the coming weeks about holding the annual membership meeting virtually through Zoom to elect our officers for 2020-2021. We are also in the planning stages on how best to handle our awards presentation for our Better Newspaper Contest, stay tuned!
The GPA’s Annual Meeting has always been a time of fellowship and passing of the gavel, we are sad and disappointed by this development. But considering the unprecedented circumstances facing all of us, we know this decision is for the best.
We hope that all you, your families, your friends, and your staff remain safe and well. Please reach out to either of us with questions or concerns. Robin is also willing and able to help in any way she can.
We wish all recovery, stay safe and healthy,
The 2021 GPA Annual Convention, our organization’s 135th, will be held June 17-19, 2021, at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel.
Want to get a jump on room bookings for 2021?
Jekyll Island Club Hotel
June 17-19, 2021 – Call 800-535-9547 or 912-635-2600 or e-mail email@example.com and reference Georgia Press Association.
Rooms start at $219; suites at the Jekyll Ocean Club are $459.
Deadline: May 10, 2021
Hampton Inn & Suites
June 17-19, 2021 – Call 1-800-426-7866 to make reservations and refer to Georgia Press Association or group code GPA.
Standard room rate: $207
Deadline: May 16, 2021
The Westin Jekyll Island
June 17-19, 2021 – Call 1-888-627-8316 to make reservations and refer to the Georgia Press Association block.
Ocean View room: $239
Deadline: May 24, 2021